Showing your rental property to prospective tenants can be very time consuming if you are constantly having to deal with prospective renters not showing up to appointments. It would be nice if every person that was interested in your property showed up to every appointment; however that is generally not the case and can waste much of your time. There are steps that can be taken to help prevent this from happening as much.
Below are the steps to take to avoid no shows at your rental property:
- Make the prospective tenant call you instead of email you
- During the phone call, tell them the rent amount and ask if they can afford it
- Advise them if you are going to perform credit checks and backgrounds checks
- Ask them how much rent they pay now where they are living
- If the rental property is 20 minutes away, call them 30 minutes before to confirm they are still going to the showing
Following these basic steps will help ensure you will have less no shows during your rental property showings. There is nothing more frustrating than wasting your time sitting at your rental for someone who is not going to show up. Once at the property to perform the showing wait 5-10 minutes max, if you do not receive a call from the prospective tenants that they are going to be late, do not wait around any longer beyond that. If you do not have time to perform multiple showings at your rental property, you may want to hire a rental agency to perform the showings for you.